> I find it hard to believe that there exists a platform where:

On FreeBSD/OpenBSD my program outright core dumped and I could not
figure out why for days and days. Now I have two separate builds - one built
with "-D_REENTRANT -DTHREADS ... -lpthread" and one without.
Only with Linux do you have the freedom of which you speak.

Well lets ask this question: "does fork() replicate all Thread Local Storage
data or not?"  It certainly replicates the heap. It replicates all static
data. It
replicates all global data. But TLS? What does POSIX say about that?

It's  a tricky question. You will see the POSIX lords actually have
something
to say about it  :-)

-paul