I am confused with what is required in builiding an application to use
encryption functions from a FIPS 140-2 capable openSSL library.

If I link the shared library libcrypto.so (0.9.8j) into my application and
do a FIPS_mode_set(1) call, is that all that is necessary for set up in
order to have my application use the FIPS validated algorithms in openSSL?
Afterall I think the libcrypto.so will have a static link to fipscanister.a.

Or.. is it necessary to link in fipscanister as would be done by using the
fipsld script?

Thanks (I have read the Security Policy and User Guide a few times, but I am
still confused on this)