On Fri, Jan 15, 2010, Kyle Hamilton wrote:

> My understanding is that OpenSSL doesn't really use the "trusted
> certificate" system, which contains the information about what a
> certificate is trusted for.  Further, the bits available for the
> Windows store don't have an isomorphic mapping within the trust
> parameters that OpenSSL provides.
>
> Is there a spec on OpenSSL's "trusted certificate" architecture?  Is
> there any guidance available on best practices to map from one to the
> other, or is that such a complex subject that it needs a full
> treatise?

It is currently relatively simple.

There is some documentaion in the x509 utility. Effectively a root CA can be
restricted to certain usages only. For compatibility with existing
code if no settings are included use in unrestricted. One exception
is trusted OCSP global roots which need an explicit trust value.

I think there is a way to retrieve the Windows store trust settings. This
whold map neatly to the OpenSSL system. Including the certificate alias would
also be a useful thing to do.

Steve.