"There isn't an option to do that currently." I agree that there is not a
functioning option to do this, but the README and configure help all indicate
that "no-CIPHER" is a legal option. And config will change the header files for
each cipher that is disabled, but it does not update the makefiles throughout
the tree to exclude making the ciphers, which is the first set of errors that I
found.

Yes, there are interdependencies for the ciphers that may invalidate this
attempt. The link between des & des3 is obvious and possibly unbreakable. I've
also found des required by mdc2 and pem, plus all the ciphers are required by
evp. Whether these are "required" or just included because these ciphers are
"always included" is something I don't know. The variety of source tree changes
that will be required before the LOW and MEDIUM ciphers can be completely
removed will require time that I don't have right now. So my fall back plan
will be to do my best to prevent these ciphers from existing on the systems in
the runtime environment (and especially the PCI audit environment).

Please let me know if my desired build enhancement is ever included in a future
release, or if you would like an additional tester for such a change before its
added to the distribution release. Thanks for your feedback!

Roch Skelton

Security Administrator, HMS Host

... You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike!  Xyzzy won't help
you now!!