In message <11032216192727_20200...@antinode.info> on Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:19:27
-0500 (CDT), "Steven M. Schweda" <s...@antinode.info> said:

sms> >       64         Automatic choice of "64" or "64=ARGV".
sms> >       64=ARGV    Manual choice of "64=ARGV".
sms> >       64=        Manual choice of plain "64".
sms>
sms>    Seems to be done, and the compiler test activity no longer leaves
sms> junk object and/or listing files lying around.  Original (*.*_orig) and
sms> changed files (with VMS version numbers) should be available here:
sms>
sms>       http://antinode.info/ftp/openssl/1_0_0d/openssl-SNAP-20110321_s1.zip

Just to clarify, you used openssl-SNAP-20110321.tar.gz for this?
That's a different branch than the one 1.0.0d comes from...

The way it's set up, we currently maintain the following branches:

  - OpenSSL_0_9_8-stable, which is version 0.9.8x (x = any letter),
    resulting in snapshot openssl-0.9.8-stable-SNAP-<date>.tar.gz

  - OpenSSL_1_0_0-stable, which is version 1.0.0x (x = any letter),
    resulting in snapshot openssl-1.0.0-stable-SNAP-<date>.tar.gz

  - OpenSSL_1_0_1-stable, which is version 1.0.1x (x = any letter),
    resulting in snapshot openssl-1.0.1-stable-SNAP-<date>.tar.gz

  - HEAD, which is version 1.1.0-dev,
    resulting in snapshot openssl-SNAP-<date>.tar.gz

If you worked on 1.0.0d before and now played with HEAD, it must be
confusing.  There are some differences...

sms>       ssl/dtls1.h  Someone keeps adding stuff like:
sms>
sms> /* Unless _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED is defined, struct timeval will not be
sms>    properly defined with DEC C, at least on VMS */
sms> #if defined(__DECC) || defined(__DECCXX)
sms> #define _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED
sms> #endif
sms>
sms> I keep getting compiler complaints because of it:
sms>
sms> [...]
sms> Building The SSLTEST Test Program.
sms>
sms> #define _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED  1 /* Or gethostname won't be declared
properly
sms> ................................^
sms> %CC-W-MACROREDEF, The redefinition of the macro "_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED"
sms>  conflicts with a current definition because the replacement lists
sms>  differ.  The redefinition is now in effect.
sms> at line number 189 in file
sms>  IT$DKC0:[UTILITY.SOURCE.OPENSSL.openssl-SNAP-20110321.ssl]ssltest.c;1
sms> [...]
sms>
sms> So I keep taking it out.  I need more info than "DEC C, at least
sms> on VMS" to understand what the problem is, wherever it is, if
sms> there actually is one.  I don't see it around here, where the
sms> "cure" always seems to be worse than the disease.

I've seen the compiler complain that struct timeval isn't defined.

sms>       util/libeay.num  As usual, these guys were mismatched with
sms>       util/ssleay.num  reality, especially where VMS uses shortened
sms>                        names ("crypto/symhacks.h").  (And we ain't got
sms>                        no 128-bit integers, so "EC_GFp_nistp224_method"
sms>                        had to be tossed out.)  I added a helpful comment
sms>                        section at the end of each file, and enhanced
sms>                        "VMS/mkshared.com" to include the concept of a
sms>                        comment, so that it could ignore these new
sms>                        comments.  If these ".num" files are actually
sms>                        created automatically, then these changes may
sms>                        make little sense.  Similarly, if there's some
sms>                        other consumer who reads these files, then he
sms>                        needs to ignore the comments, too.  (Or else, the
sms>                        comments need to be removed, but if these files
sms>                        are being hand-edited (carelessly), then it's
sms>                        just possible that some comments might save us
sms>                        from some of these recurring shortened-name
sms>                        problems.

The proper way to handle this is with "make update" on Unix.  I need
to remember to use mkshared.com to see the problem, thanks for the
reminder.

I'll have a look at your zip.

--
Richard Levitte                         rich...@levitte.org