> Incompatibilities will be treated as bugs, so I'd in fact encourage test
> with binaries compiled with 1.0.0. To answer the specific question
> numbering is not really intentional and should be fixed.

"To answer the specific question" is confusing and I'd like to clarify.
Numbering is totally intentional and reflects commitment to maintain
backward binary compatibility among 1.0.x releases. It would be nice to
have specifically 1.0.0 fixed [IMHO], but we no longer have the freedom
to do so. I apologize for possible confusion.