On Tue, Feb 21, 2012, Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 08:11:30PM +0100, Andy Polyakov wrote:
> > It's unfortunate and should have been taken care of at 1.0.0 release. I
> > mean it should have been 1.0 or 10 or something.
> >
> > > I'd just like verification that this is intentional and we can expect
> > > binaries built against the 1.0.0 shared libs to run fine using the
> > > 1.0.1 shared libs.
> >
> > Incompatibilities will be treated as bugs, so I'd in fact encourage test
> > with binaries compiled with 1.0.0.
>
> You might want to look at this report:
> http://www.upstream-tracker.org/compat_reports/openssl/1.0.0g_to_1.0.1-beta2/abi_compat_report.html

Interesting. Comments on the results:

The adding of fields in the middle of structures will be addressed as I regard
those as bugs.

Changing size of structures such as SSL, SSL_CTX is not a problem as these
are only ever created using library functions.

The constification in EVP_PKEY_new_mac_key() was just fixing the fact that it
wasn't declared const before.

The EVP_MAX_KEY_LENGTH has increased but the only ciphers which need the
extended key length are ones that have been added: therefore existing
applications will never reference them.

SSL_OP_PKCS1_CHECK_* were never used and cause connection failures if set.

SL_R_MULTIPLE_SGC_RESTARTS is an error code which can be changed to match
1.0.0 for consistency.

Steve.