On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Andy Polyakov <ap...@openssl.org> wrote:

> > The key thing I realized is that the incore script that comes with the
> FIPS
> > Object Module v2.0  tarball
> > handles both native AND cross-compile scenarios.
>
> Even though FIPS 2.0 util/incore is capable of handling arbitrary ELF
> binary (native or not), it's not used in non-cross-compile/native cases,
> as there *are* configurations when it won't work. In other words above
> statement does no hold universally true and FIPS 2.0 util/incore script
> is supported and should be used only in cross-compile environments
> targeting ELF, moreover, not *any* environment, but in explicitly
> verified (see below).

Thanks for clarifying that. I was being ELF-centric.

> > After I had gotten the extra "-f" options from Harvey for this platform
> > (BSD-powerpc),
>
> Using -f[data|function]-sections options is inappropriate as they
> undermine the idea of "capturing" fipscanister code and rodata between
> start/end symbols. It was bad advice/idea, do *not* use those options.

Ok...so the original issue was that no .rodata section was being created,
so no incore script (of any kind) worked. I had the impression that there
needed
to be a read-only data section to protect certain data. So what would you
suggest I try - what has been done with other compilers that do this?
I can't (don't want to?) believe this just dead-ends with no solution.

> > I learned a lot of interesting things along the way, so aside from time
> > spent and the bruised forehead,
> > everything is good.
>
> I'm not convinced that it is:-) Just because it appears working it
> doesn't necessarily mean it's doing the right thing. Every
> cross-compiler has to be explicitly verified, which is why there is no
> generic "one-size-fits-all" support for cross-compiling.

Ok, I get that - but the criteria needed to achieve explicit verification
for a given cross-compilation scenario is not clear to me.

> > I have now had to add one line to config, Configure,
> > and fips_canister.c in the
> > FIPS module to get it to work on my target. Oh well.
>
> Keep in mind that it will be counted as validated only as long as you
> don't change it.

Yes, I am aware of that - I realize the changes mandated additional testing.