From: Andy Polyakov via RT [mailto:r...@openssl.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 16:28
To: Kees Dekker
Cc: openssl-dev@openssl.org
Subject: Re: [openssl.org #2835] question/proposal for openssl 1.0.1c to make
do_ms.bat and do_win64a.bat somewhat more consisent + solve build errors for
WIN64a.

> I noticed that the Microsoft Assembler compiler support has gone,
> however, I also found that ms\do_ms.bat does NOT use assembly (no-asm
> flag is used), while ms\do_win64a.bat silently expects nasm compiler

No. 1.0.0 assumes ml64, while 1.0.1 *probes* if nasm is present, and if
not, falls down to ml64:

cmd /c "nasm -f win64 -v" >NUL: 2>&1
if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto ml64

uptable.asm being generated and compiled even with no-asm is
intentional. It has nothing to do with performance, but with so called
OPENSSL_Applink. In 32-bit build it's managed without assembler module
thanks to inline assembler support in compiler, which is not an option
for 64-bit compilers. This should answer related questions posed in
follow-up message.

> (according to INSTALL.WIN32 the only supported assembly compiler).
> Similar is true (but not used by me) for the do_win64i.bat batch file.
> This is probably somewhat inconsistent… Since I did not have nasm
> installed, the build for 32-bit succeeded, but for 64-bit (AMD) not.

Strange. In order to fail both nasm and ml64 should be absent... While
Microsoft failed to include assembler with initial Visual x64-capable
release, as far as I understand it was present on later releases (and
was available as separate download for initial release). Don't you have
ml64?

> Is it possible to make some more generic batch files?

I'll give it a thought...