> Will this ever get implemented?: https://hashcat.net/p12/
>
> My understanding is that this precomputes several portions of the key
> expansion stage to speed up performance. As modern websites using TLS
> use HMAC-SHA1, this seems like a nice addition.
>
> One downside of this is that in the case of iterated hashes(PBKDF2) this
> only speeds up the first iteration. I do not believe that TLS uses
> iterated HMAC-SHA1.
>
> One thing to mention is that I am not a developer, hence the lack of a
> patch.

First of all one should recognize that it's about GPU, *graphical*
processing unit, computing. Then one should recognize that it pays off
to bet on GPU only under very specific circumstances, and circumstances
are *guaranteed* *massively* *parallel* data flow. And on top of that
discussed optimization implies specific and strong correlation between
the pieces of data. Already first condition is problematic in practical
web server scenarios, not to mention second. In other words, no, it
wouldn't help OpenSSL.

On side note I can't help pointing out several contradictions. I fail to
see how do tables at pages 4 and 15 relate to each other. And numbers on
either don't make sense, because F1 and F3 *are* more computationally
intensive than F2 and F4, which should be reflected in numbers. Most
notably critical paths, i.e. theoretical minimal amount of cycles, for
F1/3 is 3 cycles, and for F2/4 - 2 cycles. This is amount of cycles a
processor with unlimited amount of computational resources would have to
spend per F-operation no matter what, because of algorithm. Of course
parallel GPU can spend clock cycles processing multiple inputs at a time
and thus reduce *effective* amount of *cycles* spent per single
F-operation (table on page 4?), but then why does author speak about
"*instruction* count"? If it's an effective count, not actual, then how
come word expansion is accounted for differently? I mean if you manage
to parallelize instructions performing F-operations, I can't see any
reason for why you'd fail to do same to word expansion...