On Fri, Feb 08, 2013, Kris Karas via RT wrote:

> Stephen Henson via RT wrote:
> > Please see if commit 32cc247 fixes this:
> >
> > http://git.openssl.org/gitweb/?p=openssl.git;a=commitdiff;h=32cc247
>
> Confirmed!  "Works for me."  (But, see P.S., below.)
>
> I re-confirmed the error was repeatably reproducible.
> Applied the patch, and was no longer able to reproduce the error.
> Reverse-applied the patch, and the error instantly returned.
>
> The patch does indeed do the right thing in this case.
> Thank you!
>
> Kris
>
> P.S.  Was supposed to work from home today due to potentially worst snow
> in Boston in 35 years.  But I could not reproduce the error in this
> report on my server at home, despite many recompiles of related things
> into the wee hours.  I'm perplexed as to what the difference could be.
> Same OS, same libraries, at least for Apache and related.  Work system
> is Core-i7 and home is Athlon-II.  Did a diff between the output of
> "Configure" of both systems and it is identical.  (Certificates?)  I'll
> try pushing the binary package at work to home and see if that makes any
> difference.  Ergo, by virtue of the difficulty in reproducing this bug,
> it might not affect as many people as I first thought.

There are two separate cases.

One requires AES-NI (e.g. i7) which will get invalid data for any record,
but the connection will appear OK.

The second affects any platform when short records are transferred: e.g.
sending a single character with s_client/s_server. If that happens the
connection terminates with a fatal alert. If you transfer larger records (e.g.
web server) you'd only see that problem occasionally.

Steve.