Hi all,

I've noticed in my unit tests that, for the same code path, when I encrypt an
decrypt the data read from a file which is 959120 bytes in size, then the FIPS
mode of AES-XTS works every time, while the non-FIPS mode fails some times. It
fails frequently but seemingly random. I've seen another post about block sizes
(4K and 32K) and I've tried smaller sizes but got the same result. I am using
the EVP_Decrypt/Encrypt API calls and have an Openssl 1.0.1e compiled with FIPS
canister v.2.0.2.

The question is why does FIPS mode work correctly every time and not non-FIPS?

Hope you can help.
Leon Brits
Senior Design Engineer

[cid:image001.jpg@01CEA24B.21A82E40]

Work +27 12 678 9740  Fax +27 12 678 9741
Cell +27 (84) 250 2855   Email le...@parsec.co.za
<mailto:le...@parsec.co.za>Building 10, Manhattan Office Park, 16 Pieter
Street, Centurion
Disclaimer <http://www.parsec.co.za/disclaimer.php>