On Mon, Aug 26, 2013, Leon Brits wrote:

> I am using a FIPS compiled OpenSSL and I switch between FIPS and non-FIPS
> mode with the FIPS_mode_set() API call. The selection is made by the
> application linked to my library based on its configuration.

That's weird. It should be using exactly the same algorithm implementation
then.

Assuming there's no problem with your code the only thing I can think of is
some inconsistency between FIPS and non-FIPS initialisation of EVP. To test
that have a look in crypto/evp/evp_enc.c in OpenSSL 1.0.1 for the lines that
check FIPS_mode(). Change them so they're always caled and not just if
FIPS_mode() is non-zero.

If possible also try OpenSSL 1.0.1 without the "fips" compilation option: it
will then use its internal implementation and not the one in the FIPS module.

Steve.