Hi,

I was wondering if Serpent (128, 192, 256 key sizes) would ever be included
in the suite of block ciphers in OpenSSL.  I noticed that recently Camellia
was added, so it looks like it might not be that far out of an idea.

My reasoning for supporting its inclusion is because I want to try my hand
at writing a few projects written in C with openssl, and having Serpent
available as a block cipher option.  If it was in openssl already I
wouldn't have to make an amateur attempt at grafting it in and screwing it
up for anyone using it.  I read a bit more about the cipher from
"Cryptography Engineering", where Bruce Schneier (et al.) considered
Serpent a clear winner if CPU speed was not critical, due to its emphasis
on security.  Seems like a good idea, at the very least!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

--
smu johnson <smujohn...@gmail.com>