On 01/30/2014 07:37 AM, Leon Brits wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Thanks for the information.
>
> About your last paragraph, I have to ask: The requirements for this
> product only uses a subset of the algorithms provided by the FIPS
> Object Module and the DualEC DRBG and RSA1024 etc. is not supported
> via our API. So SP800-131A  does not affect me. My assumption is that
> because of this we do not have to test them even though they are
> present in the FIPS Object Module. True?

So apparently you're substantially hacking the OpenSSL FIPS Object
Module code. You won't need to test an algorithm that is completely
absent (entirely absent, not just disabled), of course, but keep in mind
that apparently common sense software engineering assumptions may not apply.

So I can't really help you there; that's something you'll need to
carefully review with your test lab. You can't obtain a validation
without the participation of an accredited test lab, so your first step
is to pick one. There can be multiple "correct" answers to questions
like this, in the sense that you can take the same code to different
test labs (as we have done multiple times) and end up with very
different answers and approaches to various requirements.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.