On 02/07/2014 12:47 PM, Trebilcock, Richard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an ILS Engineer working for CGI IT UK Limited. At the present
> time I am looking at software obsolescence issues that relate to the
> CGI project I am working on. On this project we use OpenSSL FIPS 1.2
> and FIPS 1.2.4.
>
> In order to support our process of monitoring software obsolescence I
> would be grateful if you could provide me with the following
> information with respect to OpenSSL FIPS 1.2 and FIPS 1.2.4: 1. End
> of Product Support date 2. Superseding Product if support for PDFtk
> 1.12 or FIPS 1.2.4 is no longer available.
>
> Your assistance with this matter is most appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

Richard, this query would be more appropriate for the openssl-users list.

PDFtk: no idea, that is product quite separate and distinct from
OpenSSL. I didn't know it had any support for FIPS 140-2.

"OpenSSL FIPS 1.2" and "FIPS 1.2.4" are both the OpenSSL FIPS Object
Module v1.2, validation certificate #1051. The latest revision of that
module is 1.2.4. That module, including all revisions, remains validated
(though as with all validated modules it is now subject to the new
SP800-131A and FIPS 186-4 restrictions effective Jan 1 2014).

However, the 1.2 FIPS module is only usable with OpenSSL 0.9.8 releases.
OpenSSL 0.9.8 is still supported as a sustainment release, meaning
vulnerability bugfixes, but is effectively obsolete for many purposes.
For instance, it does not support TLS 1.2.

The OpenSSL FIPS Object Module 2.0, validation certificate #1747, should
be used for any new development and careful consideration should be
given to upgrading any FIPS 1.2/OpenSSL 0.9.8 based products to FIPS
2.0/OpenSSL 1.0.1.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess