On Thu, 1 May 2014 13:26:48 +0200
"Stephen Henson via RT" <r...@openssl.org> wrote:

> Ironically it was added as a workaround for another bug. The padding
> extension was believed to have no side effects... obviously that
> isn't true :-(

Maybe this should teach us a lesson: Adding more and more Workarounds
for broken stuff isn't the way to go forward. The way to go forward is
to fix broken stuff.

(we have another pretty simliar example - browsers implemented
out-of-protocol downgrades to "fix" broken implementations just to
notice that they introduced downgrade attacks and accidental downgrades
- now there's a proposal for a downgrade protection extension that only
tries to fix a problem we wouldn't have in the first place if people
didn't introduce stupid workarounds for broken stuff)

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: ha...@hboeck.de