On 08/14, Salz, Rich wrote:
> > Just a comment. the OpenSSL build already depends on Perl and Perl already
> > has a "Make" of it's own .
>
> Ooh, that could be interesting.  What's the perl make thing called?
> A web search for "perl make" was too voluminous...

Hm ... maybe some of my Google-fu can come in handy here.

- Looks like Perl has more than a few build systems. This web slideshow,
  apparently from Bank Of America, is a comparison of build systems
  written in Perl.

  <http://preaction.github.io/Perl/Compare-Building-Modules.html>

- Module::Build apparently comes with Perl. I have absolutely no idea
  whether it could be used to build C programs.

  <http://perldoc.perl.org/Module/Build/Cookbook.html>

- Extutils::MakeMaker generates system-native (GNU Make for most POSIX
  systems and NMake/DMake for Windows, according to the docs) Makefiles
  from a `Makefile.PL` input:

<http://search.cpan.org/~bingos/ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.98/lib/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm>

- If you're building C with it, there is Extutils::CBuilder which is
  "used to build the C portions of Perl modules" but "not intended as a
  general cross-platform interface to all your C building".

<http://search.cpan.org/~ambs/ExtUtils-CBuilder-0.280216/lib/ExtUtils/CBuilder.pm>

- I also found AutoPerl, which is apparently some sort of
  syntax-compatible Automake implementation:

  <http://autoperl.sourceforge.net/autoperl-man1.html>

- Config::AutoConf is an implementation of AutoConf macros in Perl.

  <http://search.cpan.org/~ambs/Config-AutoConf-0.25/lib/Config/AutoConf.pm>

- Here's a slideshow someone made about building C modules using some of
  the above tools:

  <http://www.slideshare.net/hashashin/building-c-and-c-libraries-with-perl>

- Finally, the book "Intermediate Perl" has a chapter about "creating your
  own Perl distribution" that includes some discussion of
  ExtUtils::Makemaker and Module::Build.

<http://books.google.com/books?id=Q4EVfforC3UC&lpg=PA173&ots=eMQkUWWthZ&dq=perl%20build%20system&pg=PA173#v=onepage&q=perl%20build%20system&f=false>

I can't at all comment on whether these handle dependency resolution
as well as more traditional build systems. But Perl is second only to
C in its ubiquity on most platforms, so perhaps this isn't a horrible
idea ...

        Nathan