On 08/15, Mike Bland wrote:
> If I may redirect the discussion here, interesting as it is... I've
> got a refactoring of the build system in-hand, compatible with tools
> already in use. As much as folks may be in support of adopting a new
> build system entirely--which I agree, might be worthwhile--I'd like
> feedback on the work I've already done, not the work we might do one
> day with some completely different system.

Mike,

Sorry for contributing to the off-topic discussion. I'll try to make
up for it by posting some interesting data.

I wanted to know if your changes improved speed on my system, and ran
my own suite of benchmarks. I didn't actually bench incremental
builds, since I wasted all my time benching the full ones, but I put
together some charts and posted all the data along with them for
inspection.

<http://goo.gl/zXoniR>

If I'm correct in saying so, I think the right way to run the current
test suite is to do

    $ make clean && make && make test

which means when I benchmarked `make test` with the current `master`
tree, I ran /usr/bin/time on both the `make` and `make test` commands,
appended both of those a file, and summed their output. If I was wrong
in how I did that, then the `make test` bench is wrong and you didn't
shave 3-4 seconds off the full build like I thought ;)

My system software/specs:

- Arch Linux w/ 3.16.0 kernel
- i7-2620M CPU. During the builds my clock speed averaged 3.2 GHz.
- 8GiB RAM
- Crucial MX100 SSD
- GCC compiler

Also, I read your article. The bits about `ssl/d1_both.c` not being
detected in the recursive make are scary. Ultimately it would probably
end up wasting time more than anything - if the person who merges the
code does a full `make clean` and runs the test suite before pulling
anything, they should catch that. But without a CI server, of course,
that's more time wasted trying to build broken code ...

        Nathan