>I've just succeded in compiling the libcrypto.a and libssl.a in
>openssl-0.9.1c using the GNU egcs compiler on Windows NT (mingw32). I
>want to use this to fetch https webpages.
>
>I looked through the demos to find one that could help me get started.
>I found demos/ssl/cli.cpp, which seemed to do something like what I
>want. The problem is that it isn't up to date. The first thing it does
>is
>
>  SSL_load_error_strings();
>  ctx = SSL_CTX_new ();
>  CHK_NULL(ctx);
>
>which generates an error as SSL_CTX_new() wants a method argument. I
>then changed the code into
>
>  SSL_load_error_strings();
>  meth = SSLv23_method();
>  ctx = SSL_CTX_new (meth);
>  CHK_NULL(ctx);
>
>which compiles fine, but SSL_CTX_new() always returns null.

The demos/ssl/cli.cpp can complies with ssleay_0.6.6
The reason is that the SSL_CTX_new() have changed
in the new version of ssleay/openssl.

You can say the cli.cpp is very old, maybe someone
should write a new version of cli.cpp which can complies
with the new version of ssleay/openssl(0.9.0 or above).

And you should have a look at s_client.c in "apps" path.
s_client.c can complie with new version of ssleay/openssl.

Best wish,

Wu Hui