> What do you suggest for supporting this in mod_ssl, Bodo?
        > Via an explicit SSLCACertChain or whatever directive? Or implicitly?

        The behaviour that makes most sense, I think, is if you just have to
        append the CA certificate(s) to the usual certificate file.

Something fancier might be appropriate.  There may be situations where
a different chain is needed depending on the browser type.  Is it even
possible to detect the browser type before sending the cert chain?