> and ended up replacing it with another version a while back.
        > It didn't crash but it returned incorrect values.
        > So maybe that implementation is buggy.  I didn't have time
        > to figure out what was wrong, back then.

        Perhaps you were using SHA*() instead of SHA1*()?  The former
        uses the original specification of SHA before NSA put in their
        fix.  I'm using the SHA1 functions from SSLeay with good success
        in a PGP-compatible DSA signature checker on both Linux and Sol/x86.

No, definitely not.  I was running on a sparc under sun cc.
One of these days I'll get around to figuring out what was wrong.