Scott -
I just ran 512, 1024, 2048 for debug and release builds from both a
commandline out of the box build, and also through devstudio.  All
succeeded though the 2048 debug generations took upwards of 45
minutes.

What processor are you using - I do have the /G6 flag in all of the
devstudio makefiles which optimizes for the pentium pro - (I forgot to
mention that on the distribution pages ;-( - but will add a note).
in devstudio you can change that at Menu: Project | Settings | C/C++
tab | Category: Code Generation.

Andrew