Nicolas Aragon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 29 Jan 00, at 19:48, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
>
> > To date, I have not been able to generate a CSR that is acceptable to the
> > Netscape Certificate Server.  All requests are rejected with a "bad DER
> > encoding" error.
>
> I had the same error message from Navigator with a certificate that
> included an underscore in the CN.

Yes thats another potential problem. You should keep to the
PrintableString character set[1] (except in emailAddress) if at all
possible. Netscape has problems with some characters but this is hard to
track down: I've known '&' give trouble.

Anything before the latest snapshot of OpenSSL also got the type of
string wrong in anything other then commonName if characters other than
the PrintableString set got used.

[1] PrintableString character set:

Steve.
--