Hi,
I suppose you should tell apache and your navigator where is your CA
certificate,
For apache, i think you can tell him with by the httpsd.conf directives:
    SSLCACertificatePath --> points to verification path
    SSLCACertificateFile  --> points to CA [selfsigned] certificate
You also can set the SSL_CERT_DIR & SSL_CERT_FILE  enviroment variables as the
values you set in the "httpsd.conf" file either.

For netscape or iex , you should load the CA certificate into the browser, so
it can verify
the possible client certificates you have in it.
I hope this can help you.
Greetings.