Hello!

>  > I found "Applied Cryptography - Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code
>  > in C", by Bruce Schneier, second edition, to be very useful.  The ISBN
>  > is 0-471-11709-9.
>
> I also found "SSL and TLS Essentials", Stephen Thomas, Wiley Computer
> Publishing, ISBN 0-471-38354-6 to be quite good.
>
> Easier to read than the RFC's ;-)
>
>  > > I would also be interested in book recommendations.  I'm computer
>  > > literate, and know how to program (mostly C, C++).  But I am a
>  > > cryptography / security nincompoop.  It's a fascinating subject,
>  > > though.  And of course important and relevant to today's connected
>  > > world.  So I'd like to know more.

One can also read some book on number theory and algebra (abstract).
That kind of books will describe what is not easily understood
otherwise: Why the underlying problems are viewed as hard?  This is not
ofcourse necessary to successfully implement something from a standard,
but its fun. :-)

/Douglas