Well, on the UNIX system I use, I can open 2 xterms. In one of them I run
the serv program. This makes the shell prompt go away as serv waits for a
client connection. In the other xterm I run the cli program. It connects to
the server and both sides print out some messages. On my system the result
looks like this:

In the "server" window:

$ ./serv
Connection from 100007f, port fd04
SSL connection using DES-CBC3-MD5
Client does not have certificate.
Got 12 chars:'Hello World!'
$

In the "client" window:

$ ./cli
SSL connection using DES-CBC3-MD5
Server certificate:
         subject: /C=AU/ST=Queensland/O=CryptSoft Pty Ltd/CN=Server test
cert (5
12 bit)
         issuer: /C=AU/ST=Queensland/O=CryptSoft Pty Ltd/CN=Test CA (1024
bit)
Got 11 chars:'I hear you.'
$

That's really all there is to it. The server does minimal server-side SSL
and the client does minimal client-side SSL, and each side sends one line of
text to the other.