Sorry for my false teachings about PGP, and thank you for appointing my
errors.

Well, about S/MIME message size, I've got more precise figures.
I have created a e-mail message in MS Outlook Express and Netscape Messenger
with a single binary
attachment of 1026 KB (large enough for minimizing impact of signatures and
PEM encodings).
Sizes:
Original attachment  - 1026 KB
Plain MIME-encoded message - 1416 KB (headers, base-64 encoding)
Signed-only S/MIME message - 1420 KB (the additional 4KB are the detached
S/MIME signature, not bad)
Encrypted-only S/MIME message - 1947 KB - (encode the attachment in base-64,
encrypt it, add a certificate and use base-64 encoding again. Argh, but that
is S/MIME)
Signed&Encrypted S/MIME message - 2672 KB (!)
I've thought that Outlook Express figures for signed&encrypted S/MIME
messages
really stink (probably it does not use detached S/MIME signatures before
encrypting), but I've tried the same thing with Netscape Messenger and got
worse figures (about 3000 KB).

Edson E. Watanabe
7COMm
Sao Paulo