Hi Sergio,

thanks for your response.  I have some more questions and
would greatly appreciate it if you, or somebody else could
help me some more.

Sergio Rabellino wrote:
> Jacobus van der Merwe wrote:
> > [Netscape says certs are accepted for 'People' but there is
> >  nothing there]
> > Can anyone give me some idea of what is wrong with my certs?
>
> probably you can find these certificates under the "signers" list...

Nope, there is no sign of them.

> This is due to the absence of the "netscapeCertType" extension in the
> certificate emitted by your CA...

Ok, I tried to figure this one out, but I am stuck.

In my openssl.cnf file, there is a CA_EmailCerts.  In the section for
CA_EmailCerts the extension is specified as :

x509_extensions = x509v3_ext_EmailCerts

And x509v3_ext_EmailCerts looks like this :
[ x509v3_ext_EmailCerts ]
keyUsage = nonRepudiation, digitalSignature
nsComment                       = "This certificate is used for e-mail."
nsBaseUrl                       = "https://comint.dec.mil.za/"
nsCaRevocationUrl               =
cgi-bin/pyca/get-cert.py/EmailCerts/crl
nsRevocationUrl                 =
cgi-bin/pyca/ns-check-rev.py/EmailCerts?
nsRenewalUrl                    = cgi-bin/pyca/ns-renewal.py/EmailCerts?
nsCaPolicyUrl                   = TestCA/policy/EmailCerts-policy.html
nsCertType                      = email

A certificate I have produced looks like this:
""
Certificate:
        Version: 3 (0x2)
        Serial Number: 1 (0x1)
        Signature Algorithm: md5WithRSAEncryption
        Issuer: C=ZA, ST=Gauteng, L=Pretoria, O=DEC, CN=CA Admin
(email)/Email=c
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Validity
            Not Before: Oct  4 10:15:51 2000 GMT
            Not After : May 27 10:15:51 2002 GMT
        Subject: C=ZA, ST=Gauteng, L=Pretoria, O=DEC, CN=Jacobus vd
Merwe/Email=
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject Public Key Info:
            Public Key Algorithm: rsaEncryption
            RSA Public Key: (1024 bit)
                Modulus (1024 bit)
                  [ ... ]
                Exponent: 65537 (0x10001)
        X509v3 extensions:
            X509v3 Key Usage:
                Digital Signature, Non Repudiation
            Netscape Comment:
                This certificate is used for e-mail.
            Netscape Base Url:
                https://comint.dec.mil.za/
            Netscape CA Revocation Url:
                cgi-bin/pyca/get-cert.py/EmailCerts/crl
            Netscape Revocation Url:
                cgi-bin/pyca/ns-check-rev.py/EmailCerts?
            Netscape Renewal Url:
                cgi-bin/pyca/ns-renewal.py/EmailCerts?
            Netscape CA Policy Url:
                TestCA/policy/EmailCerts-policy.html
            Netscape Cert Type:
                S/MIME
    Signature Algorithm: md5WithRSAEncryption
         [ ...]
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
  [ ... ]
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

In the certificate I see the Netscape cert type is "S/MIME".

Is this the problem??

What should it be?

Where can I find more info?  Can you refer me to specific docs?

Thanks a lot.

Jacobus