Hi, I'm having trouble using s_client from the openssl
package on hpux.

I compiled openssl on my linux box without any problem, and
when I say

        openssl s_client -connect www.dceweb.it.wsu.edu:443

It runs perfectly fine.

Next, I try to do the same on my hpux box. I compiled it
(using hpux's C and not gcc)  and
as best I can tell there were no errors. I even did

        make test

and I don't think there were abnormal errors there either.
But when I try running

        openssl s_client -connect www.dceweb.it.wsu.edu:443

from my hpux box, I get this error:

unable to load 'random state'
This means that the random number generator has not been seeded
with much random data.
Consider setting the RANDFILE environment variable to point at a file that
'random' data can be kept in (the file will be overwritten).
CONNECTED(00000003)
depth=0 /C=US/ST=Washington/L=Pullman/O=Washington State University/OU=Information
Technology/OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.com/RPA (c)99/CN=www.dceweb.it.wsu.edu
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify return:1
depth=0 /C=US/ST=Washington/L=Pullman/O=Washington State University/OU=Information
Technology/OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.com/RPA (c)99/CN=www.dceweb.it.wsu.edu
verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted
verify return:1
depth=0 /C=US/ST=Washington/L=Pullman/O=Washington State University/OU=Information
Technology/OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.com/RPA (c)99/CN=www.dceweb.it.wsu.edu
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
verify return:1
24293:error:24064064:random number
generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:PRNG not seeded:md_rand.c:474:You need to read the OpenSSL
FAQ, http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html

I read the FAQ and documentation on verify, but I can't
figure out from the documentation how to fix the certificate
problem. Any clues? Is it a problem because of HPUX's C
compiler and not using gcc? -- Dean

--
Dean Guenther                   Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Washington State University     AT&T:     509 335-0433