Thanks Steve for the pointers. Still having a problem
though.

You were right, I was getting those warnings on linux too.
Everthing scrolled by so fast I never paid attention to it.

I added a -CApath on my hpux system's call to s_client. That
got rid of the PRNG error you pointed out. However, adding
that path showed another error about a certificate expiring.

Then I noticed at the top of all of these messages about
"Consider setting the RANDFILE environment variable".
This didn't show up on the linux side, only the hpux side.
 So I
did add that environment variable and now I can connect
 to that server. However, it
still doesn't quite work. I enter on the HPUX system:

# apps/openssl s_client -connect www.dceweb.it.wsu.edu:443

And it appears to connect correctly because it stops with
the same/similar dialog that I see on the linux side:
.
.
.
No client certificate CA names sent
---
---
New, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is DES-CBC3-SHA
Server public key is 1024 bit
SSL-Session:
    Protocol  : TLSv1
    Cipher    : DES-CBC3-SHA
    Session-ID: C4C23C87D8E5D6471BAE4ABE14C90D4AE6EF5D35E4E3426F323DAC7F8DA75294
    Session-ID-ctx:
    Master-Key:
A49B5435ACB883EBD3DEAACBAD01FEB80868F459747D0CEF320AB28B98F9B3678071D9F60C6CE88CB2DE310A8D5A770E
    Key-Arg   : None
    Start Time: 974408762
    Timeout   : 300 (sec)
    Verify return code: 0 (ok)
---

So at this point I enter:

        exec /UNIX_Systems/cgi-bin/ov_ping_apps.cgi

On the linux side, that "exec" will run the cgi script. But
on the hpux system, the s_client  just hangs there and eventually
it'll give a:

        read:errno=0

Any ideas whats going on with the hpux
s_client? -- dean

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 01:25:52 +0000 you wrote:

 > Dean Guenther wrote:
 > >

 > > unable to load 'random state'
 > > This means that the random number generator has not been seeded
 > > with much random data.
 > > Consider setting the RANDFILE environment variable to point at a file that
 > > 'random' data can be kept in (the file will be overwritten).
 > > CONNECTED(00000003)
 > > depth=0 /C=US/ST=Washington/L=Pullman/O=Washington State University/OU=Information
 >Technology/OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.com/RPA (c)99/CN=www.dceweb.it.wsu.edu
 > > verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
 > > verify return:1
 > > depth=0 /C=US/ST=Washington/L=Pullman/O=Washington State University/OU=Information
 >Technology/OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.com/RPA (c)99/CN=www.dceweb.it.wsu.edu
 > > verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted
 > > verify return:1
 > > depth=0 /C=US/ST=Washington/L=Pullman/O=Washington State University/OU=Information
 >Technology/OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.com/RPA (c)99/CN=www.dceweb.it.wsu.edu
 > > verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
 > > verify return:1
 > > 24293:error:24064064:random number
 > > generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:PRNG not seeded:md_rand.c:474:You need to read the
 >OpenSSL FAQ, http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html
 > >
 > > I read the FAQ and documentation on verify, but I can't
 > > figure out from the documentation how to fix the certificate
 > > problem.
 >
 > The PRNG not seeded is the fatal error that's causing this to fail.
 >
 > The certificate problem is a warning, you may well be getting it on
 > Linux too. You can get rid of it by including the path to you 'certs'
 > directory with the -CApath option unless the server uses a nonstandard
 > CA.
 >
 > Steve.
 > --
 > Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/
 > Personal Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > Senior crypto engineer, Celo Communications: http://www.celocom.com/
 > Core developer of the   OpenSSL project: http://www.openssl.org/
 > Business Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] PGP key: via homepage.

Dean Guenther                   Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Washington State University     AT&T:     509 335-0433
Pullman, WA. 99164-1222         fax:      509 335-0540
www & UNIX System Admin