Included below is Microsoft's man page regarding that link error, it sounds
like you may be mixing 32 and 16 bit libraries or actually have a corrupt
.lib file. Did the *test.exe executables (i.e.. shatest.exe ) build
correctly? Do your typically run VCVARS32.bat before running nmake? Are you
using the same compiler for creating the .lib and linking your executable?
The CVT1107 error indicates that   cvtres.exe could not make heads or tails
of the library you gave it.

Bill

Linker Tools Error LNK1123
failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt

The object or resource could not be converted to COFF.

This tool requires the format of all input files to be COFF. If an input
file is not COFF, the tool runs a conversion tool, either CVTOMF (to convert
32-bit OMF objects) or CVTRES (to convert resource files).

One of the following may be a cause:

The file is corrupt.

The file is not a valid file type. An example of an invalid type is a 16-bit
OMF object.
This error is preceded by errors or warnings from the conversion tool.