There seem to be a problem with ./config shared in openssl-0.9.6 that occurs
completely independantly of apache.  Os=RH6.1

The problem I am running into seems to be an apache-ssl problem so I ask the pure
openssl people to ignore that part of the email.

This is weird.  I _had_ it all working after following Ben Laurie's instructions.
Then something funny seems to have happened.  I think this may have been triggered by
something I did but I can not find it.  Enlightnment would be appreciated.

apache will no longer link.  It gives the error that the "shared library"
libcrypto.so is not availaible.

So... after many attempts I blew everything away and started from scratch.

1)  tar -xzvf openssl-0_0_6_tar.gz

All looks fine.  No errors nor warnings.

2)  ./config

It does not build the shared libs.  Apache seems to need shared libs but I don't know
why.  After several failed attempts I decide to try:

3)  ./config shared

This seems to work.  Final message is Configured for linux-elf

4) make

This appears to work properly.

5) make install

This does _attempt_ to install the shared libs however it gives and error message to
the effect that there is an unknown file format.  The specific messages are:

installing libcrypto.so
/usr/bin/ranlib: /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so: File format not recognized
installing libcrypto.so.0
/usr/bin/ranlib: /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so.0: File format not recognized
installing libcrypto.so.0.9.6
/usr/bin/ranlib: /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.6: File format not recognized
installing libssl.so
/usr/bin/ranlib: /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so: File format not recognized
installing libssl.so.0
/usr/bin/ranlib: /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so.0: File format not recognized
installing libssl.so.0.9.6
/usr/bin/ranlib: /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so.0.9.6: File format not recognized

I specifically remember reading Ben's step 0 and it seems to me there is _something_
that I needed to do to openssl 0.9.6 in the way of a patch.  But I can see no relevant
patch.  There is a patch for 0.9.5a but this is not relevant to 0.9.6.

If anyone has tried compliling and linking apache 1.3.14 into openssl using the tar
from apache-ssl.org - specifically apache_1_3_14+ssl_1.1.42_tar.gz

In any event it appears to me that the shared option is not working.  The system is
redhat 6.1 and it is the server edition.

------------

Now - there is something that I did which I don't think is related.  I was trying to
figure out the ld commands for creating a DSO because I have not done this before.  So
I cd'd to the openssl source tree and typed make libcrypto.so  This _should_ be pretty
harmless.

After this nothing ran.  Even blowing everything away and starting fresh does not seem
to work.

ANyway...  I do not remember building ssl for shared library support and I don't think
it needs to be in a shared library.  I think there may be a link or something that is
bad.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  Thanx