From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

terr> apache will no longer link.  It gives the error that the "shared
terr> library"  libcrypto.so is not availaible.

In which directory do you have libcrypto.so?  If not in /lib or
/usr/lib, have you created the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
include the directory where libcrypto.so resides?  At least, I think
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH is necessary, but I could be wrong...

terr> This does _attempt_ to install the shared libs however it gives
terr> and error message to the effect that there is an unknown file
terr> format.  The specific messages are:

That's ranlib who whines.  ranlib doesn't recognise shared library,
since it's designed to handle static libraries only.  Therefore, when
presented with a shared library, it will complain, but it will not
alter the file, for that reason, the messages you get can be safely
ignored.  If you do take a look in /usr/local/ssl/lib, you will see
that you have shared libraries (and probably copies, instead of most
of them being soflinks), and you can probably check with nm that they
are at least potentially useful.

The shared support in OpenSSL has been, and still is, experimental.
Some of the handling in 0.9.6 is incorrect, but as far as I recall,
the shared libraries that are produced are correct.

terr> ANyway...  I do not remember building ssl for shared library
terr> support and I don't think it needs to be in a shared library.  I
terr> think there may be a link or something that is bad.

I'd guess at a directory reference that's not quite right.  That is,
however, a very blind guess...

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Chairman@Stacken   \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.