Best bet:  You are linking against the incorrect c-runtime - use /MD
(multithreaded dll)
Menu: Project...Settings...c/C++ tab....Category: Code Generation....Use
Runtime Library ---> Multi-Threaded DLL

Didn't you have to build apps.c as well for a standalone s_client.exe?

You can also grab the developer studio workspace and all of the project
files off of my homepage - the s_client (and all of the standalone apps)
project has all of the correct settings (from compiler options to
library resolution) applied.  http://www.iconsinc.com/~agray/ossldev/

Andrew