David Schwartz wrote:

>         Sufficient for what? I may not want to send my credit card information to
> anyone who has a Verisign certificate, but I might be willing to send it to
> someone who has a Verisign certificate for 'www.amazon.com' or has that
> listed as one of the alternate names.

There's confusion in the PKI realm about what constitutes trust and authority.
My assumption is that the certificate issuer does due diligence -- presumably,
that's YOU if you are developing an application using client auth.

>         Comparing the name to name you get when you resolve the IP you connected to
> doesn't seem useful to me. But comparing the name (or alternate name) to the
> name you expected to connect to makes very good sense.

You're talking about connecting to a server via HTTP,  which has little if
anything to do with SSL and mutual authentication.  I maintain that it is
far easier to poison a DNS cache than to recover someone else's private key
(if reasonably secured).

Client certs should bind public keys to identity -- however that is defined
by the application.