Maxime Dubois wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone tell me how the command openssl req deals with accents?
> When i run the command and enter as common name something like Stphane,and
> then generate the certificate and the pkcs12 file to import it into IE, I
> get a strange symbol instead of the  in the common name. ...

OpenSSL by default will assume the characters presented to it are
IS08859-1 (Latin 1) strings. It stores these in the ASN1 string type
known as a T61String: this isn't actually correct but Netscape and MSIE
can do this too.

There are various options in OpenSSL which can alter this behaviour. One
is the string_mask option which can allow OpenSSL to use BMPStrings:
this is the correct way to handle things: see the req manual page.
However BMPStriings will crash any version of Netscape without PSM - so
OpenSSL doesn't do this by default.

Characters which can't be represented as ISO8859-1 can still be handled
with the latest OpenSSL 0.9.7 development version. This has a new option
(-utf8) to the req application which instead interprets the input as
UTF8 strings.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/