On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 12:35:25PM -0800, Imran Badr wrote:
> I think Eric Rescorla responded to a similar question sometimes ago that RSA
> operation would be a limiting factor. But if you take that bottleneck away
> then I think putting SSL handshake and record porcessing layers in kernel
> space would be a next better thing to do because we can see many new
> hardware accelerators out there in the near future market which are 10-20
> times better than what we have today.
> We can have certficate management in the user space for the sake of
> simplicity.
>
> Any comments ???

Since most implementations don't use Accelerators for symetric operations,
it might be interesting to start with a split implementation.

Record layer symetric processing in the kernel, retaining the handshake and
public key management in user space...

Steven A. Bade
UNIX Network Security Cryptographic Strategy and Development Architecture
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
T/L 678-4799
(512)-838-4799

--
To convert from Hogsheads to Cubic Feet - Multiply by 8.4219

"Two-way communication is necessary to proactively facilitate acceptance
and involvement and to get insights about the journey it takes to get where
we want"

this mess is so big and so bad and so tall,
we cannot clean it up, there is no way at all
(Cat in the Hat)

he Hat)