Hi,

I'm trying to debug a problem that I'm having sending large attachments
using OpenSSL 0.9.6b S/MIME encryption on Solaris 8, and am wondering
if anyone has seen this problem before or would know where to look
first.

I wrap an ASCII text file (longest line circa 157 char) in the form
of a MIME attachment, and encrypt using:

   openssl smime -encrypt -rc2-128 cert.pem

This works fine for an 11 line file (1492 bytes, each line < 160
chars), but decryption fails for an input file as small as 44K (size
chosen so that it would be under 64K when encrypted and base64
encoded).  Unfortunately I don't have much more information than that;
the recipient (regulatory body) only provides support for Netscape
Communicator 4.7x or IE 5.0, so I can only use their status messages as
an oracle.  Submission with Netscape works fine for files up to 1MB.
My next step will likely be a binary search on file size.

Regards,

   Bill Rugolsky