> Out of curiosity, doesn't one also have to lock the SSL* itself against
> concurrent access during read/write operations, or does OpenSSL guard it
> for the programmer?

sorry if i am spamming with naive questions, but:
  Do i need locking, if all i do is 'read' in one thread (from remote) and
'write' in another thread (to remote)?

  i want to use "blocking read" so that the reader will be blocked in the
SSL_read call, while i do a SSL_write from my writer (hence locks wont
work) - i did some basic tests, and it seems to work fine.

  should i worry about any race issues? any comment is appreciated.

thanks.