Madhu,

I originally ran the config script  as "./config shared threads
-D_REENTRANT".  However, I was unable to run anything in the apps
directory, so I'm assuming that this was not quite right.  I just tried the
config options you gave, but -fPIC  is an unknown option and is being
ignored by the machine I'm building on.

Rob

                      "MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUD

                      AN                          To:
"'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      (HP-Cupertino,ex1)"         cc:

                      <madhusudan_mathihal        Subject:  RE: creating shared libs
on hp-ux 11
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                      Sent by:

                      owner-openssl-users@

                      openssl.org

                      01/23/2002 01:36 PM

                      Please respond to

                      openssl-users

Rob,
             What are the last couple of lines of your build output ??..
BTW,
what options did you give to the config script ?.. I used "./config -fPIC
--openssldir=$DESTDIR shared", and the last couple of lines of my build is
something like :

+ rm -f libssl.sl.0
+ rm -f libssl.sl
+ rm -f libssl.sl.0.9.6
libs='-L/proj/middleware/madhum/src/openssl-0.9.6c -lcrypto'; for i in ssl;
do \
( set -x; /usr/ccs/bin/ld +vnocompatwarnings \
        -b -z -o lib$i.sl.0.9.6 \
        +h lib$i.sl.0.9.6 \
        -Fl lib$i.a $libs -L/proj/middleware/madhum/src/openssl-0.9.6c
-L/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/hppa1.1-hp-hpux11.00/2.9-hppa-991112 -lgcc
-L/proj/middleware/madhum/src/openssl-0.9.6c -lcrypto -lm -ldld -lc ) ||
exit 1; \
libs="$libs -L. -l$i"; \
done
+ /usr/ccs/bin/ld +vnocompatwarnings -b -z -o libssl.sl.0.9.6 +h
libssl.sl.0.9.6 -Fl libssl.a -L/proj/middleware/madhum/src/openssl-0.9.6c
-lcrypto -L/proj/middleware/madhum/src/openssl-0.9.6c
-L/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/hppa1.1-hp-hpux11.00/2.9-hppa-991112 -lgcc
-L/proj/middleware/madhum/src/openssl-0.9.6c -lcrypto -lm -ldld -lc
+ ln -f -s libssl.sl.0.9.6 libssl.sl.0
+ ln -f -s libssl.sl.0 libssl.sl
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/tmp_mnt/proj/middleware/madhum/src/openssl-0.9.6c'
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/tmp_mnt/proj/middleware/madhum/src/openssl-0.9.6c'

             In the worst case, you can atleast use the above ld options :
-)..
Thanks
-Madhu