On Friday, April 26, 2002, at 11:39  PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you paid for a 40bit
> certificate. Do you mean an SGC cert?

No. We purchased through a local Verisign distributor which sells Global
(128-bit SSL) and Secure (40-bit SSL) certificates. This was a renewal
of an expired certificate which is definately 40-bit. Being in Australia
it was not possible 2 years ago to get a 128 bit certificate for a web
site, so we had to go for 40-bit certificates. I think in the US at the
time they referred to the difference as 'domestic' vs 'international'.
domestic was 128-bit and international was 40-bit.

The reason I am chasing this up is that on a deployed site, we are
getting data encryption errors being reported to users since putting the
renewed certificate in place. It happens quite infrequently, and may
only affect a few browsers, but I needed to determine whether it is
standard or acceptable behaviour for browsers and servers to upgrade a
connection in this way and whether there are any gotchas for any
platforms or browsers. Secondly, if 40 bit certificates can allow
connections at 128 bit when the browser supports it, why buy a 128 bit
certificate which is twice as expensive?

Thanks to Srikanth, David and John for the replies.

Cheers
Stuart