The openssl documentation says:

WARNING
When an SSL_write() operation has to be repeated because of
SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ or SSL_ERROR_WANT_WRITE, it must be repeated with the
same arguments.

Are there any ways to get around this?

Here is an example of where this might be a problem:
Supposing I attempted to write the time of day to an SSL stream, but failed
with the error SSL_ERROR_WANT_WRITE.  Later on I discover that I can write,
but by this time the time of day has changed by one second.  What am I to
do?

   - Joel Daniels