I've implemented OpenSSL to secure communications between a client and a server. The
server can present certificates, and I've checked (using Internet Explorer and Opera)
that these certificates make sense.

I now want to get my client to check those certificates, and I would prefer to use
Microsoft's CryptoAPI to do this. The reasons for this apparently perverse decision
are:

1. The client is a Windows-only program, so I lose nothing by doing this.
2. If I do this, the client will have access to exactly the same stored certificate
lists as other Windows programs that the user is familiar with (such as IE).
3. The client will share the behaviour (including, possibly, the bugs) of other
Windows programs. Operations such as CRL checking will be as effective, or as
ineffective, as they are in other programs. Thus the user will not have to learn
anything new.

There remains the question of whether this is possible; and, if so, how. A flounder
through the MS documentation suggests that I need to use various combinations of
CertCreateCTLContext and CryptMsgGetAndVerifySigner. Has anyone any experience of
doing any of this -- extracting the certificate that was sent by an SSL server to
OpenSSL and passing it to CryptoAPI?