I am trying to make a RMISSL server on Linux/Java.
My question involves the ports used.

What is wrong with my explanation below?

I set Apache to listen on 8080 for HTTP (http.conf)and
8443 for HTTPS(SSL conf).
I ask for an RMIregistry, which comes up on 1099.
I initialize my server with my implentation of
UnicastRemoteObject,
requesting port 0 which means give me an anonymous
port to RMIregistry.

I open URL server:8080 then try to send
data over SSL:

My client does a Lookup on the URL to get the
class.

[-- the crucual part --]

My RMISSLClientSocketFactory implements RMIClientSocketFactory,
which gets a call to createSocket(String host, int port)
where port is a large number.

Where is the port 8443 specified on the client?
Does it come back in the Lookup somehow?

Do I need to have the whole session be SSL?

Gary

--
When you're through changing, you're through.
            -- Bruce Barton