Not exactly open source, but
http://www.intel.com/design/security/rng/rng-capi.htm "Accessing the Intel®
Random Number Generator through a CSP for Microsoft* CryptoAPI" describes
how to access the Intel *hardware* RNG.  Might be of some use to you on
Windows platforms.  (I believe some *NIXs use the same hardware to populate
/dev/random when on Intel platforms.)

                      Edward Chan

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      Sent by:                     cc:

                      owner-openssl-users@         Subject: Re: anybody using EGADS?

                      openssl.org

                      10/22/2002 01:13 PM

                      Please respond to

                      openssl-users

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the reply.  You're absolutely right.  It
does appear that I am not blocked indefinitely...it
certainly does take a while to gather entropy.  I was
using nBytes = 1024.  Then I tried 512.  Still very
long time.

Any suggestions on what a number should be for
acceptable randomness?

Does anybody have any alternative suggestions?  Does
anybody know how Apache seeds the OpenSSL PRNG on
Windows?  I think Apache uses OpenSSL don't they?

Thanks,
Ed

--- "Stephen G. Schoggen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED]