In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Mon, 28 Oct 2002 23:01:51 -0600,
Phil Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

phil-openssl-users> Is 0.9.7 going to continue the version numbering
phil-openssl-users> mess that 0.9.6 has?

As far as I know, we haven't decided on a different scheme.

phil-openssl-users> Or can someone please explain how to install 2 or
phil-openssl-users> more different versions of openssl that differ by
phil-openssl-users> the letter only (such as 0.9.6e and 0.9.6g) so
phil-openssl-users> that both versions are present on the system and
phil-openssl-users> that programs which were linked to one or the
phil-openssl-users> other specifically, such as openssh, can
phil-openssl-users> successfully find the correct library and run?

Installing different versions is quite easy, it's just a matter of
using --prefix and --openssldir properly when configuring.  Since it's
probably the binaries that you have problems with, you probably want
to use --prefix only.

Now, for OpenSSH this won't matter at all.  What they do is compare
the value of OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER (a macro, which means the value is
built into OpenSSH at compile time) with the result of calling
SSLeay() (a function that returns OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER, the one that
got built into libcrypto).  Therefore, any version change, including
patchlevel changes, will mean OpenSSH needs to be rebuilt.

I can understand OpenSSH's position on this.  We have said for a long
time that before OpenSSL version 1, we don't guarantee binary
compatibility between edit levels (i.e. when x changes in 0.9.x).
Unfortunately, there have been cases when OpenSSL became binary
incompatible with older patch levels within the same edit level.
We're trying hard to avoid that.

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.