Hi, Jason!

Some input, maybe it helps:
To my understanding, UTF8 would encode Ö as \xc3\x96 and Ä as \xc3\x84
"D6" is "214" is the position in ISO8859-1 of the Ouml (Ö).

So, LDAP exported iso8859-1 (or so) I suppose, and not UTF8.

(with Mozilla it could be that you use some non-iso translation)

Best regards,
Michael

Am 2002-11-12 4:51 Uhr schrieb "Jason Haar" unter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi there
>
> I want to generate certs from our internal LDAP server. We have people from
> all over the world here, and so some of these entries have 8bit chars in
> their names (shock! horror!)
>
> Now I went off and generated a cert for one "Frank Österberg" (that's an "O"
> with two dots on top), and when I "vi" the PEM afterwards I see
> "\xD6sterberg". However, under Mozilla Import, the name shows up as
> "A?sterberg" (the A has two dots on top) - not the same thing.
>
> Is this an issue with the Unix (Linux BTW) system doing some ISO charset,
> but Openssl expecting unicode? If so, what is the correct way to do this?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help - my poor ASCII brain is feeling
> overwhelmed :-)

Karl-Michael Werzowa
A-1190 Wien, Paradisgasse 28/4/6
+43 (664)302 4511,  fax +43 (1)328 1992 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]