> I thought making a memset() look-alike (somewhere in the discussion,
> "setmem()" was proposed) was enough to prevent it.  No?

There were three suggestions made that I had seen that appeared to
work:

 . change all password buffers to volatile

 . replace memset() with your own function not called memset

 . use compiler specific command line options to turn off this
   optimization

The problem with the first two is that they do have significant
performance impacts.

The problem with the last is that we do not want to need to know the
command line options for each and every compiler.

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer     Kermit 95 2.0 GUI available now!!!
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University  SSH, Secure Telnet, Secure FTP, HTTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/            Secured with MIT Kerberos, SRP, and
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]               OpenSSL.