> Franck Martin wrote:
> You can't use virtual hosts on apache with https.
> Each host must have its own IP address, that's what I learnt from the doc...
> May be it is fixed somehow...

The reason is that the security is negotiated before even one byte
is sent down the channel, and the server has no way of knowing
WHICH of the various virtual hosts you want to talk to until it has
read the incoming HTTP header, which it cannot do until the
security has been negotiated.

One might think the server would have a single certificate that it
uses before trying to find out the desired virtual host name.
However, it turns out it has to know WHICH virtual host name is
wanted to select WHICH certificate to use!  Chicken and egg.

There might be a solution with a single certificate that has all
the virtual host names as subjectAltNames but I'm too much in
alligator mode to look at such swamps...

--

Charles B. (Ben) Cranston
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]